Disappointing High-End Make Up Products

4:20:00 PM

disappointing high-end make up products: www.poshmakeupnstuff.blogspot.com

The saying "You get what you pay for", is something I consider (most of the time) when it comes to buying beauty and skin care products. Granted, I still buy drugstore products but only if internet people rave about it. However, with some disappointing purchases, I realise that what works for someone will not necessarily work for me (different skin tone, skin texture, pH balance, lifestyle, etc). So here are my recent purchases that sadly, I regret buying because we just don't mesh well together (points if you know where I got that from😉). 

disappointing high-end make up products: www.poshmakeupnstuff.blogspot.com

1. Make Up Forever Rouge Artist Intense Lipstick (Mat 5) - this is one of the first matte lipsticks I tried. I honestly prefer it than MAC Retromatte lipstick which just dried up my lips like a raisin or a prune, whichever is drier. I gave my MAC one to my sister and am wishing I can give this also to her  since I barely use it. When I discovered the magic of liquid lipsticks I just stopped using this because they just don't dry up my lips like this one does. This one tends to emphasise the flaky patches on my skin which I'm sure nobody wants to see. It also feels heavier on the lips than my liquid lipsticks.

2. Bobbi Brown Corrector (Peach) - (AU$44) I had high hopes for this one since it was hyped up the internet. I used to have really dark under-eyes and this one was raved about even by celebrity make up artists so I just got to have it. I wanted to love it, it's very creamy and blendable but it just doesn't work for me. Upon application, it makes my under-eyes disappear but once I try to blend it to avoid having an orange patch under my eyes, it also disappears. I tried it underneath and on top of my foundation but it just doesn't stay on for long. I still use it though cause I paid a lot for it but I only use it when I know I'm not gonna be out for long. Most of the time, I reach for my Napoleon Perdis "The One" which is cheaper, peachier and stays on longer.

3. Bobbi Brown Pen Eyeliner (Blackest Black) - Like the corrector, I expected a lot from this product since it's from Bobbi Brown. Their gel liner has been a cult favorite for years but since I'm no pro when it comes to winged lines I find it easier to use pens instead. This liner is pretty average for me. It does what it says it does however, for its price, I was hoping it would be better than drugstore liners. The felt tip is a little too big for my Asian eyes and the sides dispenses more product than the tip of the pen. This makes it difficult to make precise and pointy ends for me. Personally, I prefer brush tips than felt tips and I find my Asian brand liners perform much better than this.

disappointing high-end make up products: www.poshmakeupnstuff.blogspot.com
4. Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay-in-Place Flawless Wear Concealer (2C)- For such a long name and price, you'd thought this one would deliver a miracle for my under-eyes. I purchased this on Sephora for AUD38 hoping this would be my go-to. I had high expectations with this one since the Double Wear Foundation is my HG. Sadly, I chose the wrong shade for me. Granted it's my fault but I still tried to make it work. However, I just don't like its formulation. It has a very strong chemical scent to it and it just doesn't conceal anything.


5. Estee Lauder Double Wear Zero-Smudge Volume+Lift Mascara - Again another long name with lots of promises that don't really deliver for me. I haven't had any luck with high-end mascaras to be honest. I used to have a MUFE waterproof mascara which would look gorgeous initially but after a few hours, makes me look like a panda. So I purchased this one because of its claims. Yes, it is smudgeproof but it doesn't deliver with its volume+lift claims. It just makes my lashes look sad and droopy. It doesn't hold any curls at all. I just use this on my lower lashes because the wand size is perfect for it. 

6. Lancome Grandiose Smudgeproof Mascara - (AU$54) I love my Lancome Blanc Expert Cushion so I wanted to try more from this brand. Bought this because of its packaging and again because of internet people. Its effects are the same with the Estee Lauder: sad and droopy lashes with no curl whatsoever. At least it stays true with being smudge-proof.

disappointing high-end make up products: www.poshmakeupnstuff.blogspot.com

I guess when it comes to make up, it's all about trial and error. It involves a lot of risks (esp on my wallet). Finding your HG product also means finding ones that just won't work for you.




Have you tried any of these products? What are the disappointing high-end products you've tried? What are your HG make up products? Tell me your thoughts by leaving a comment below.




Hope you like this post. Don't forget to show it some love by clicking on tweet, share, like or G+ button. Have a great day, gorgeous!


You Might Also Like

11 comments

  1. I definitely agree that it's all about trial and error and seeing what works for you! High end prices don't always equal quality!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haven't tried any of these products but by the sounds of it, it's a good job that I haven't!

    Abigail | chasingmydesire.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never tried any of these brands before, they've never had anything that's appealed to me, but it's nice to read opinions other than "this is perfect" about high-end brands. I feel like no one really says anything bad about them and it makes it so hard when trying to find a new product!
    Astrid
    www.astridkaniele.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use the corrector and love it! Surprised it didn't work for you :O I don't blend it so much I just apply, add concealer on top and voila works for me :) maybe you'll find a different product :) XX

    Vanessa xx

    www.therealnessonline.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice! I'll try it next I use. Hope it works!

      Delete
  5. It’s so frustrating when you’ve spent a lot of money on a product for it to be disappointing xx

    http://beautybythebunny.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciate post like this. I’m a newbie when it comes to wearing makeup. But I think with any products you have to try it to see how it will work for you since everyone is different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally someone that is honest and making clear the drawbacks with some products especially high end ones so we all don't end up wasting money.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Bobbi Brown corrector was honestly the worst thing I'd purchased. Maybe it was just my skin but no not for me! As you said though, trial and error!
    The Daring Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally another one who doesn't like the Bobbi Brown corrector. It's just not worth the price for me. Like I said, I prefer The Napoleon Perdis "The One" than this one and it is so much cheaper.

      Delete

Subscribe